Subject: RE: How to make import libraries?
From: [email-masked] (Zow Terry Brugger)

6 Apr 1998 04:36:20 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Mark H. Wood'" <[email-masked]>,
        Gnu-Win32 list
	 <[email-masked]>

Creation is usually the key. In the creation of a DLL, a link library is 
created with the same name as the DLL, only with a .lib extension instead 
of a .dll . To use functions from the DLL, all you need to do is link to 
that lib file, just like you would link to any static library. At execution 
time, the system will load the associated DLL. There are some fancier, more 
dynamic ways to do it, but that is by far the easiest. I haven't coded for 
NW myself, but search your drive for NWCALLS.lib and see what you can find. 
If it isn't there, then you will need the fancier methods, which I can dig 
some docs up on if the need arises.

Hope this helps!
Terry

-----Original Message-----
From:	Mark H. Wood
Sent:	Monday, March 30, 1998 2:58 PM
To:	Gnu-Win32 list
Subject:	How to make import libraries?

I see lots of discussion and FAQ text on how to *create* .DLLs, but
nothing on how to *use* them.  The FAQ says I must link with an "import
library", but doesn't tell me how to create one from an existing .DLL.
I'd like to use GNU-Win32 to build Win32-native tools for working with
Netware, but that means I need to be able to call stuff in e.g.
NWCALLS.DLL for which there is no built-in include library in the
GNU-Win32 kit.  I'd have thought that this is a f.a.q. but apparently not?

I rummaged around and found a program in the kit called dlltool, but could
find *no* documentation for it (and yes, I did download the manpage/info
kit too) so I can't even tell if it is what I'm looking for.  Clues
welcomed.  Thanks....

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [email-masked]
One more time:  a (level-2) switch is a bridge.  A "level-3 switch" is
a router.  Deal with it.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".