Subject: Re: missing mails ?
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

5 Apr 1998 10:18:36 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked] (Michael Hirmke)
Cc: [email-masked]

Michael Hirmke wrote:
> 
> today I got messages on the list dating from April, 1st and April, 2nd,
> while the last ones have been from March, 27nd.
> There are missing many messages between those two dates - especially
> about 10 messages I sent.
> Does anyone else have this problem ? Is there a problem with Cygnus'
> mail server ?

Sysadmin types are working on speeding up responsiveness of the list.
As I've mentioned before, there are over 1500 addresses on the list
and (too) many addresses involve flaky servers that are unavailable a
lot of the time.  These slow down mail delivery tremendously.

I know they've been testing addresses and seeing how they can
reconfigure sendmail/majordomo to cope with such a large list.
They're also adding another 128 MB of RAM to the server.  Maybe
they've made some positive changes that we're seeing with new
messages but the older ones haven't been delivered yet?  Or maybe
that's optimistic and it's a fluke.  Time will tell... :-)

This message was sent: Thu Apr  2 21:12:18 PST 1998

In the worst case scenario, I will just start unsubscribing all
addresses that time out once (without notification since that would
take too much time) and those people could resubscribe after things
have stabilized or read the list from the WWW list archives.

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".