Subject: Re: No echo when using telnet to inetd on b19
From: [email-masked] (David Skidmore)

5 Apr 1998 07:59:56 -0700
Message-ID: <Pine.OSF.3.95.980403194742.2510D-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@grace>
References: <C1A9DAABC292D111A4D90000F879A2BA0EC7@NTMAIL>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Ian Collins <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Gnu Mailing list'" <[email-masked]>

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Ian Collins wrote:

> I have finally got inetd to work such that I can login (telnet) to my
> b19 server.
> However, I am having a problem with character echo when I telnet to my
> gnu b19 server.
> 
> If I use the Microsoft telnet program (the one that comes with 95/NT),
> then all characters that I type are immediately echoed back (this is the
> normal, expected action).
> 
> But if I use any other telnet program, or if I try to telnet from, e.g.,
> a unix master console, or EVEN if I use Microsofts telnet to telnet to a
> Unix machine, then from that login, I telnet to my gnu b19 server, then
> I only see the characters that I have typed AFTER I have hit RETURN.
> 
> (Sounds like the old half duplex to me).
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Part of it may be due to the lame-ness of the MS telnet program.  It doesn't
exactly behave the way one would expect all the time.  I personally use a
program called SimpTerm, though there are many out on the net.  Try a
different program, because some only operate on a line-by-line method, while
others transmit each character.  There should be an option to switch, but I'm
not sure, this is MS software, after all.

> Ian Collins. 
> KIWIPLAN NZ.

--Dave

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".