Subject: stty settings
From: [email-masked] (Erwin Achermann)

4 Apr 1998 23:26:07 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Howdy all, 

my stty settings are 

>stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 37; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = <undef>; quit = <undef>; erase = <undef>; kill = <undef>; eof =
<undef>;
eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; start = <undef>; stop = <undef>; susp =
<undef>;
rprnt = <undef>; werase = <undef>; lnext = <undef>; flush = <undef>;
min = 0; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb -cread -clocal -crtscts
ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -ixon
-ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
-opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0
vt0
ff0
isig icanon -iexten echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop -echoctl
-echoke

"Oh well THAT's why ^d is not understood by my program", i thought. 
But when i try to set it explicitly: 
>stty eof ^d
stty: standard input: unable to perform all requested operations
/pccts/tutorial/rewrite 59>stty --version
stty (GNU sh-utils) 1.16

Can someone please explain what i am missing, is this also the reason
for Ctrl-Z not working as it used to in good ol' Unix??
How can i set those settings? Why is stty refusing to accept my
settings?

Cheers 
Erwin
-- 
Erwin Achermann                               Tel:      ++41 1 632 74 40
Institut fuer Wissenschaftliches Rechnen      Fax:      ++41 1 632 11 72
ETH Zentrum, IFW C29.2         mailto:[email-masked]  ICQ:4625051
CH-8092 Zuerich	               http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/acherman/
>  Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, <
>  but when there is no longer anything to take away.                  <
>                                          -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery <
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".