Subject: RE: MFC with Cygwin?
From: [email-masked] (Parker, Ron)

3 Apr 1998 18:29:22 -0800
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=Butler_Manufactu%l=BUILDINGS/BLDGSHUB/[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="---- =_NextPart_000_01BD5C03.262CA800"
To: "'gnu-win32'" <[email-masked]>

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD5C03.262CA800
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

MFC is a library from Microsoft. It is not public domain, but is 
included with many compilers because the vendors license it from MS. 
 Unfortunately unless you have another compiler which supplies the 
headers, libraries and DLL files, there is no way to use it with 
cygwin32. Their license agreement, as of the last time I read it, 
explicitly forbade redistributing the source, libraries or object 
files with another compiler product.

Perhaps in the future someone will undertake the task of creating a PD 
set of headers and import libraries for MFC, but AFAIK this has not 
been done yet. If it were, it would not address the issue of obtaining 
and redistributing the DLL files.  However, we could then rely upon 
whatever version of MFC was shipped with the operating system.

This would be like what MingWin does for a C runtime library.  It 
links against the OS supplied, MSVCRT.DLL.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Dagit [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 1998 1:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MFC with Cygwin?

I'm a newbie and I'm trying to learn win32 programming.  I keep 
hearing
about MicroSoft Foundation Classes.  I'm wondering, what do I need to 
do
to use MFC with Cygwin?  I have B19.1 and very little knowledge of
win32  programming.  I have experience with DOS C/C++ and VB3.0, but
thats about the extent of my programming.

Please assume I know only what it takes to compile a simple project. 
 I
have a generic windows application that I created following an 
example
on MSDN, but that's my only experience with Cygwin32.

Thank you lots,
Jason
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD5C03.262CA800
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD5C03.262CA800--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".