Subject: Re: Starting a X Client on my local machine & Starting Inetd automatic
From: [email-masked] (Michael Hirmke)

3 Apr 1998 17:43:29 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi Ian,

[...]
>how do I configure the client so that my server will see it when it does
>a broadcast ?

If you already have an X server up and running, have at least the
Cygnus user tools installed (bash and so on), you have to set
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 and then you only have to double click xterm.exe
to start it.

>where is xlogin ?

You don't need it, because you are already logged into your WinNT/Win95.
xlogin on Unix systems is to let you login into your system.

>do I need to add some stuff to inetd.conf to make it work ?

No, this isn't necessary for X to work - not even on Unix systems.

>how do I run startx

No need to have startx, because your X server is already running, you
don't have/need xdm and you don't need something like a window manager,
because X servers on Windows systems normally do the job of a window
manager for their X clients, too.

>
>
>also I have tried using srvany to startup inetd automatically, but when
>I do a net start it complains, but I can run it manually
>
>I am a XWindows user, not a system Admin, and would like to you my PC as
>a xclient when I am at home insteading of going through a 28k line which
>is slow.

Uhm, perhaps I didn't understand you the right way - your X server is
running on your local machine, isn't it ?
So your machine is X client and X server at the same time ?
If so, my statements above should fit your needs, otherwise please be a
bit more precise on what you want to do.

>
>Thanks.
>Ian Holsman

BYe.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:[email-masked]
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".