Subject: RE: Newbie questions....
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

3 Apr 1998 12:14:37 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

If you issue bash with the --login script then it will execute a 
/etc/profile file.  If you "export HOME=/home/martin" from within 
/etc/profile and "source ~/.bashrc" it will do what you want.

EXAMPLE:

#file: /etc/profile
#This file will be used by "bash --login"
#
export HOME=/home/martin
export PATH=.:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH
source ~/.bashrc

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

>From: "Smith, Martin" <[email-masked]>
>To: "Nagle, Adrian" <[email-masked]>,
>        GNU-WIN32 Project
>	 <[email-masked]>
>Subject: RE: Newbie questions....
>Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:41:12 -0000
>
>I had to set HOME=/home/martin via the System icon in the NT Control 
Panel
>(under the Environment tab). This works fine but I'd be interested in
>knowing if anyone has been able to do it from .bashrc or equivalent.
>
>Regards,
>	Martin
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From:	Nagle, Adrian [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>> Sent:	Thursday, March 19, 1998 6:18 PM
>> To:	GNU-WIN32 Project
>> Subject:	Newbie questions....
>> 
>> I am interested in the CYGWIN-32 project.  Since at work, I must use 
NT,
>> I keep pulling hairs out when the ls command doesn't work.  
Fortunately
>> I found CYGWIN-32 and the bash shell.  That seems to solve my 
problem.
>> 
>> However, some questions.  I've tried to find the information on the 
web,
>> but haven't been successful.  How does bash work in CYGWIN-32?  I 
can't
>> figure out how to set the $HOME variable.  I have my .bash_profile 
and
>> .bashrc in my home directory to configure my environment, but 
executing
>> the cygnus.bat file (to start bash) will not source those files and 
it
>> puts me in the desktop directory.  How do I configure bash so that it
>> sources my config files?
>> 
>> Or, better yet, what is the best link for the documentation?  That 
could
>> answer more of my questions (i.e. getting g77 to work).
>> 
>> Thanks for the help.
>> 
>> Adrian
>> 
>> 
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
>> Adrian Nagle                                      Tele: 303-939-6518
>> Thermal Engineer                                   FAX: 303-939-5166
>> Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
>> Boulder, Colorado
>> http://www.ball.com/aerospace/batchp.html
>> 
>> 
>> -
>> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a 
message to
>> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".