Subject: Re: problem compiling
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

2 Apr 1998 03:07:56 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

You sent the 4/1 and I received it 4/1, this must be an "April Fools 
Joke" right.  You're lucky, it's been taking 1 or more weeks for 
postings to show up in my mail box.

Enough of my bantering, on to your problem:

Your problem is that you have your filesystems mounted as text!=binary.  
I thought the default was to change to text=binary with b19 but 
obviously not.

to fix:

1) cd cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin
2) umount /
3) mount -b c:/ /
4) add "binmode" to the list of values of the CYGWIN32 variable.
5) cd <libdir>
6) rm <archive>.a
7) cd <objdir>
8) ar -c <libdir>/<archive>.a <objects>.o

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Rasim Bokhari" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:30:49 -0600
To: [email-masked]
Subject: problem compiling

Hi,

I am working on a legacy code and trying to port it to NT. The code 
compiles on
unix without any problems. But I am getting errors when compiling with
cygnus32B19. When using gcc with some object files I get:

file not recognized: File format not recognized

gcc with an archive file (I use ar to make an archive file):

could not read symbols: Archive has no index; run ranlib to add one

I even tried 'ranlib', no luck!

Thanks
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".