Subject: RE: "cl" wrapper for gcc
From: [email-masked] (Edward Avis)

29 Mar 1998 13:49:52 -0800
Message-ID: <c=GB%a=TMAILUK%p=DCNET%l=[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

>>Has anyone made a wrapper the other way, that is called "cl" and
>>accepting
>>the same switches as Microsoft's cl.exe, but really invoking gcc?  I
>>imagine this would be very useful to migrate from VC++ to Ming.
>
>I've not heard of anyone doing this yet.  Sounds like a worthy item.
>Are you willing to give it a try?

'Fraid not - I don't have a PC at home, and at work there's a limit on how 
much time I can spend on Cygwin32 related things...  I have an unfortunate 
tendency to think up ideas but not follow them through.  Maybe somebody who 
uses Ming and/or VC++ could do it - I have no experience with Ming and 
little with VC++; I do most things in Perl or Java <hides>.

Here's another idea which people might find mildly interesting, but 
probably won't be implemented:

-	Port Willows or winelib to Cygwin32.
-	Modify Ming to link with Willows or winelib instead of the Windows 
libraries.

Using the putative "cl" wrapper around Ming, and linking with the Linux 
libwine.so or whatever, it would be possible for developers to recompile 
their Windows apps for Unix from the "comfort" of their own Windows 
machines.

--
Ed Avis
[email-masked]
http://members.tripod.com/~mave/index.html

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".