Subject: Re: Cygwin Performance - especially on a network
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

29 Mar 1998 04:13:20 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>From: Kevin Hughes <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>To: "'Gnuwin95 (E-mail)'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Cygwin Performance - especially on a network
>Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:30:34 -0000
>
>
>I  have been very interested in the performance of the cygin toolset 
>specifically the apparent slowness of the system primarily on network 
>connected disks. This topic (performance) has ocupied a great deal of 
the 
>list bandwidth from time to time.
>
>I have now managed to get some measures for a  program compiled under 
>cygwin and msvc++ accessing local and remote drives. The program is 
>trivial, it hangs around to let loading complete and then opens a file 
>identified as a parameter, fstats it and then closes it. More than 1 
file 
>can be specified on the input.
>The program reports the time taken to complete the actions - using the 
>rdtsc counter.
>
>This is the results I get running from NT command shell, running the 
>program twice to the same files

What version of NT and what filesystem?  cygwin32 responds differently 
for FAT vs NTFS.  On FAT there is an "EA DATA. SF" file that gets 
written to. 8-( 

Have you tried your program using Mingw32 available from Colin Peters 
page?  or EGCS available from Mumit Khan's page?

<snip>

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/       (German mirror)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".