Subject: Problems building GDB using Microsoft C++ and nmake
From: [email-masked] (Lars Jarnbo Pedersen)

29 Mar 1998 03:53:59 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

Hi,

I'm trying to build gdb from cdk b18 using Microsoft C++ and Microsoft
nmake following the guidelines described in cdk/gdb/mswin/README-BUILD,
but are running into some problems.

I'm using the MS tools installed with VisualStudio 5:
C++ compiler version 11.00.7022
nmake version 1.62.7022

So my questions are:

1) Has anybody recently compiled gdb within the Microsoft environment?
2) Is the WinGDB a "supported" part of the cdk source release?

The README-BUILD lists the necessary steps to build gdb using MS tools,
however it seems like the instructions are not in sync with the
configure files in the cdk distribution. E.g., after creating a
directory to hold the MS build environment you enter that directory and
run the following command:

$SRCDIR/configure --target $TARGET --build sun4 --host i386-windows
--cache config.cache

This did not work on any of the build environment I have available
including linux, Unix sysv4 or cywin32 and one of the problems is that
the --host should be i386-*-windows instead of i386-windows. But what is
more important is that it was difficult to find a reasonable --target
that would suit all sub components of gdb (bfd, readline etc.).

So I ended up with the following command on a Linux box (and I agree
that it is not an obvious choice:-):

configure --target i386-pc-sysv4 --build sun4 --host i386-*-windows

This created the complete directory structure including all nmake files.
However these did not work without modifications. But with some minor
modifications to the root nmake.mak I was able to build all the support
libraries (bfd, readline, opcode etc.). 

The real problems occur when nmake tries to make the gdb\mswin files.
Here I get all sorts of errors in include files. Some of these errors
are related to symbols that are already defined (e.g., in bfd.h booleans
true and false are defined, but these are already defined by MS so the
compiler generates an error). 

All in all I cannot seem to get a clean set of nmake files that will
build gdb using the MS environment so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lars Jarnbo Pedersen / NCR SE-Copenhagen 
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".