Subject: Re: Help: X Windows Problem
From: [email-masked] (Paul Garceau)

29 Mar 1998 03:33:39 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <3.0.3.32.19980318134202.0099cd60@mail>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

On 18 Mar 98 at 13:42, the Illustrious Richard Thomas wrote:

> NT is probably using DNS to look up localhost (and hence needing to
> connect to your isp). Try using 127.0.0.1 instead. alternatively, there
> may be a hosts file somewhere you can add it to (Though I wouldnt know
> where)

	LMHOSTS might work, though I haven't tested this.  

	You might need to manually input the server name, as NT understands that 
name, in order to access LMHOSTS.  You would also have to be sure that 
LMHOSTS is checked uner the network tcp/ip protocol properties.

	If you have your own DNS, then all you need to do is set your tcp/ip
protocol properties (under the control panel applet or via right clicking
on "network neighborhood" and selecting "properties") to include your DNS 
reference (IP number format) as part of the DNS lookup table.

	WinS requires the LMHOSTS file for any NT box that doesn't have a WinS 
server.  If WinS is selected in your "tcp/ip" protocol properties, and you 
don't have WinS, NT will automatically check, respectively, the DNS lookup 
table and the LMHOSTS text file.

	If NT is attempting to access a WinS server, and there is none on, or 
connected to, your box, then NT 4 will default to the DNS lookup table.  

	This last statement is only true for as long as "IP Forwarding" 
(another tcp/ip protocol property) is checked on a non-WinS based box such 
as the NT 4 Workstation.

	Any WinNT 4.0 Server includes the WinS server as well as any necessary 
servers for handling DNS, etc.  NT 4 Workstations only include, except in 
special cases, the necessary clients that are needed to communicate with a 
Windows Domain Server or NT Server setup.

	I hope this helps.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Information Systems Consultant
NewDawn Productions
http://www.teleport.com/~pgarceau/newdawn/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".