Subject: Re: Where does the "\n" to "\r\n" conversion take place?
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Faylor)

29 Mar 1998 03:32:12 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>   Bob McGowan ([email-masked])
>>   Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:43:13 -0800
>>       
>>I cannot shed much light on how cygwin32 might do this, but for the
>>Microsoft compilers, if I remember correctly, this is "built in" to the
>>open() function.  The basic operation is \r\n to \n on input and \n to
>>\r\n on output for _TEXT_ files only.  If a file is opened in BINARY
>>mode (even if it is actually only text contents) no translation occurs
>>and you will see both \r and \n in the input.  So, if open() is found in
>>crtdll.dll then mingw32 should also have this feature.
>>
>Thanks.  I posted a note about how lynx has an `_fmode = O_BINARY'
>statement that screws up text files and that causes the problem that
>originally got me to post.  Unfortunately, the censor at cygnus.com
>has been refusing to post my messages to gnu-win32, so people like
>you keep sending in followups.
>
>Now is that an enlightened attitude, I ask you?  All it does is get me
>to post this stuff to public internet forums, where cygnus certainly
>does not control what gets posted, and where slights to cygnus get
>spread much more widely than in gnu-win32.

No, paranoia is not normally considered an enlightened attitude.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".