Subject: RE: Question on STL
From: [email-masked] (Smith, Martin)

28 Mar 1998 20:02:29 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: "'gnu-win32'" <[email-masked]>

On a related note I was wondering how the mingw32 EGCS is going? I have just
picked up the B19 version mentioned below but would like to get mingw32 set
up too.

On this topic, can anyone clarify the best way to get some of these tools to
co-exist. I'd like to keep B19 (or EGCS now) for Un*x ports but would also
like to use mingw32 (again, probably with EGCS in due course). Is there any
consenus on the easiest/most flexible way of doing this?

At the moment I have two batch files which call Bash after setting up the
correct environment (one for Cygnus and one for mingw32). My mingw32 setup
appeared to work. Of course, now that I have dropped EGCS over B19, my
mingw32 setup has reverted to requiring cygnusb19.dll :-( Are there a lot of
differences between EGCS cygwin and EGCS mingw32?

At the moment, a lot of the information on how to set the various toolsets
(gnuwin32, mingw32, egcs, mingw32 gcc native etc) is a bit fragmented and
some of it is still B18-related. It would be nice if we could pull some of
the information together. I know the keepers of each of these toolchains are
very busy and are updating their FAQs as they get the opportunity so please
don't take this is as a complaint ! I am just suggesting that it would be
nice if we could collate some of the information in some way (I think Mumit
asked for feedback in this area a month or so ago so I am really just
seconding his request to document the whole co-existence situation as best
we can). This would be especially useful for relative newcomers like myself
who, for example, have an, as yet, poor understanding of things like specs
files :-)

Regards,
		Martin

PS. Thanks for all the hard work that went into B19, mingw32, egcs, gcc
2.8.1 etc !

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Mumit Khan [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Thursday, March 19, 1998 6:15 PM
> To:	Carolyn Fiebig
> Cc:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: Question on STL
> 
> Hi Carolyn,
> 
> The C++ front-end that comes with Gnu-Win32 b19 is rather old and broken 
> in quite a few ways; I recommend that you replace the dev. toolchain with 
> my pre-built EGCS 1.0.2 distribution. You should also upgrade the binary 
> utilities (linker, assembler, etc) available from the same place.
> 
> See http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ for download
> and installation info. All it takes is a download and unpacking into the 
> existing Cygnus B19 tree.
> 
> Regards,
> Mumit -- [email-masked]
> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
> 
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".