Subject: RE: Emacs 20.2 port in the works
From: [email-masked] (Paul Kinnucan)

28 Mar 1998 19:48:02 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Parker, Ron" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

At 11:07 AM 3/18/98 -0600, Parker, Ron wrote:
>I am aware of:
>*	Geoff Voelker's NTEmacs port to Win32
>*	Eli Zaretskii's djgpp port to MSDOS and Windows
>*	Hisashi Miyashita's MULE for Win32
>*	XEmacs Win32 porting project
>
>I have heard expressed on this list many repeated problems and
>difficulties with using NTEmacs in a complete cygwin32 environment.
>

As far as I can tell, the problems between NT/Emacs 20.x and
cygwin32 b19 are primarily due to bugs in cygwin32, e.g., the problem
with how stdin/out is handled. These bugs would cause problems with
a Cygwin/Emacs as well. So having a "cygwin" Emacs would not make
the current transition to major new versions of Emacs and cygwin
any easier.

>My purpose in porting emacs, is manifold. First off, I was unaware of
>the XEmacs Win32 effort. It sounds promising but looks to be a longer
>term solution. I want an emacs that can be run in a console window or in
>X-Windows. This is due to my using these tools remotely from home on a

Well, NT/Emacs runs in a console window just fine.

>server at work. I want to supply a set of patches to the maintainers of
>GNU Emacs, so that cygwin32 will compile "out-of-the-box" and the newest
>version will always be available. Also, I desired to have the smallest
>set of patches possible to enable this so that there would be very few
>cygwin32 dependencies in the GNU source and therefore a very small
>chance of newer versions not working with cygwin32.
>

I think you would better serve the Emacs community by working with Geoff
Voelker and Andrew Innes to achieve these aims for NT/Emacs. Personally
I don't think the world needs another NT/Emacs and I don't relish
the prospect of a competing version diverting FSF attention and resources
away from the fine work being done by Geoff, Andrew and others.

- Paul
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".