Subject: RE: Where does the "\n" to "\r\n" conversion take place?
From: [email-masked]

25 Mar 1998 10:37:47 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1250
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

>   Bob McGowan ([email-masked])
>   Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:43:13 -0800
>       
>I cannot shed much light on how cygwin32 might do this, but for the
>Microsoft compilers, if I remember correctly, this is "built in" to the
>open() function.  The basic operation is \r\n to \n on input and \n to
>\r\n on output for _TEXT_ files only.  If a file is opened in BINARY
>mode (even if it is actually only text contents) no translation occurs
>and you will see both \r and \n in the input.  So, if open() is found in
>crtdll.dll then mingw32 should also have this feature.
>
Thanks.  I posted a note about how lynx has an `_fmode = O_BINARY'
statement that screws up text files and that causes the problem that
originally got me to post.  Unfortunately, the censor at cygnus.com
has been refusing to post my messages to gnu-win32, so people like
you keep sending in followups.

Now is that an enlightened attitude, I ask you?  All it does is get me
to post this stuff to public internet forums, where cygnus certainly
does not control what gets posted, and where slights to cygnus get
spread much more widely than in gnu-win32.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".