Subject: Re: Jan Jaap's Mingw32
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

25 Mar 1998 06:09:07 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Alain CULOS <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

---Alain CULOS <"Alain.Culos -- "@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> 
> I downloaded cygwin32 b18 some time ago and got VGUI to compile fine
for me (Earnie taught me the few tricks I needed as a complement to
all help files).

I don't remember what I taught you, but I'm glad I could help.

> Now I kinda want to change over to Mingw32 ...
> And surprise, it does not work the same way. I know, I did not read
the whole FAQ yet or the whole help files (they really look nicely
done).
> 
> My platform is a PPro/Win95b, 64MB RAM. And I downloaded Mingw32
stuff from JJ's superb page.

Wow, 64MB ram.  Back in the 1960's one byte of ram was equal to one US
dollar.  Now if you could go back in time, wouldn't you be rich!?

> 
> I have a few questions, only for those that have answers off the top
of their heads (do not dig information for me, I can do the digging
myself) :

I promise, no digging.

> 
> 1/ Am I understanding as I should : in Cygwin32, the use of
Cygwin32.dll makes my own software subject to the GPL.
> 

And possibly any restrictions Cygnus has added to it.

> 2/ With Mingw32 my software is mine and I can sell it if I wish.
> 

The reason that JanJaap compiled the Minimalist Version.

> 3/ Is the main purpose of Mingw32 (which is to get rid of the Unix
layer overhead and gain speed) contrary to using Unix tools like Bash
? That sounds like a stupid question, but the bash version I have, I
gather, uses cygwin32.dll ...
> 

Ah-ha.  This is what I like about this post.  The answer is an
emphatic, NO.  I'm currently working on a port of BASH (with help from
others) to Mingw32.  I've already ported these packages: fileutils,
textutils, sh-utils, find, grep and others.  I'm currently testing
BASH.  I'll post to the list, eventually, the steps to take in porting
and the stubs and libraries I've built.

> 4/ A compiled that worked just perfectly well with Cygwin32 b18
breaks at the first stage using Mingw32 Gcc-2.8.1 :
> 

This could be differences between the header files.  Since I don't
have a RCS as yet, I've created a mingw32-sup/include directory.  I
then add this path to the from of the C_INCLUDE_PATH variable and if I
need to modify or add a header I do it in this directory.  In this way
I preserve the production environment and have a working maintenance
environment.

> In a command.com box, with appropriate PATH and environment as
explained in JJ's installation page, make says :
> C:\PROGRAM\V\SRCWIN>make

Are you using JanJaap's version of make?  I've not had any luck with
it.  Here's what I do using b19 cygwin32:

SET CYGWIN32=notty nobinmode
SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
SET PATH=%MINGW32PATH%;%CYGWINPATH%;%OTHERSPATH%
bash --rcfile %RCFILE%

Now I can run configure and make from the H-i386-cygwin/bin directory.
 If you need to know how I setup the GCC variables let me know.

> g++ -O3 -c -I../includew -D_WIN32 VAPP.cpp -o VAPP.o
> VAPP.cpp: In function `int CMain(void *, void *, char *, int)':
> VAPP.cpp:1032: warning: implicit declaration of function `int
strtok(...)'
> VAPP.cpp:1032: warning: assignment to `char *' from `int' lacks a cast
> VAPP.cpp:1036: warning: implicit declaration of function `int
strchr(...)'
> VAPP.cpp:1036: ANSI C++ forbids comparison between pointer and integer
> VAPP.cpp:1038: warning: assignment to `char *' from `int' lacks a cast
> D:\MINGW32\BIN\MAKE.EXE: *** [VAPP.o] Error 1
> 
> Does that have anything to do with the change over from Cygwin32 to
Mingw32 or does it have to do with the change over from 2.7.2 to 2.8.1 ?

As I stated earlier it is probably the differences in the headers. 
E.G.: "implicit declaration of function ..." means that no prototype
exists.  The prototype would be in a header file.

> The App I'm trying to compile is V1.17, maybe I should just go and
download V1.18, I know it has more makefiles and they may be more
appropriate for me since I'm not anything near to mastering makefiles
and compiles.
> 
> Note that gcc -v does give the correct version identification :
> D:\Utilisateurs\Alain\Programmation\C\Tests>gcc -v
> Reading specs from D:\MINGW32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-mingw32\2.8.1\specs
> gcc version 2.8.1
> 
> MTIA,
> Al.
> 

Hope I've helped, again. ;-)

-         \\||//
----oo00--Earnie--00oo---
[email-masked]
------oooo0----0oooo-----

PS: I'm trying to determine if hotmail is delivering my mail in a
timely fashion.  I sent you mail from hotmail yesterday, did you
receive it?  I don't particularly like "Yahoo! Mail" but if it's
faster I may have to switch.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".