Subject: RE: Emacs 20.2 port in the works
From: [email-masked] (Andy Piper)

25 Mar 1998 01:19:43 -0800
Message-ID: <3.0.3.32.19980321220216.009a87f0.cygnus.gnu-win32@mailhost>
References: [email-masked] (Andy Piper)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Parker, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

XEmacs has been ported (by me) to cygwin32. You may in particular be
interested in the cygwin unexec support I have done.

cheers

andy

At 11:07 AM 3/18/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I am aware of:
>*	Geoff Voelker's NTEmacs port to Win32
>*	Eli Zaretskii's djgpp port to MSDOS and Windows
>*	Hisashi Miyashita's MULE for Win32
>*	XEmacs Win32 porting project
>
>I have heard expressed on this list many repeated problems and
>difficulties with using NTEmacs in a complete cygwin32 environment.
>
>My purpose in porting emacs, is manifold. First off, I was unaware of
>the XEmacs Win32 effort. It sounds promising but looks to be a longer
>term solution. I want an emacs that can be run in a console window or in
>X-Windows. This is due to my using these tools remotely from home on a
>server at work. I want to supply a set of patches to the maintainers of
>GNU Emacs, so that cygwin32 will compile "out-of-the-box" and the newest
>version will always be available. Also, I desired to have the smallest
>set of patches possible to enable this so that there would be very few
>cygwin32 dependencies in the GNU source and therefore a very small
>chance of newer versions not working with cygwin32.
>
>My first compile of emacs 20.2 was accomplished by creating an
>src/s/cygwin32.h file and updating configure.in in the top level
>directory. Since then the editor has essentially worked "as expected". 
>
>My previous message stated that I did not have subprocess support. That
>was inaccurate. I had not tested the subprocess support. After testing
>it, it is clean and works well. With one minor change to cygwin32.h I
>corrected the filename problem that I mentioned. I have determined that
>I will not link it with the lesstif libraries due to runtime errors
>emitted by using the menus. The only thing I have left to do is to
>perfect the dumping of the executable. For the uninitiated, this greatly
>speeds the initial loading time of the application. I am very close to
>having this completed and have put fewer than 8 hours into my porting
>effort.
>
>I still welcome additional input.
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From:	Paul Kinnucan [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>>Sent:	Wednesday, March 18, 1998 5:41 AM
>>To:	Parker, Ron
>>Subject:	Re: Emacs 20.2 port in the works
>>
>>At 12:51 PM 3/16/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>>I am porting the newest version of Emacs, currently 20.2, to the
>>>gnu-win32 environment. Its probably asking for trouble by anouncing this
>>>before it is completed. But, I wanted to spare anyone from duplicating
>>>my efforts and to be certain I am not duplicating someone else's work.
>>>
>>
>>Hi Ron,
>>
>>Just wanted to check and make sure you are aware of NT/Emacs? 
>>
>>If so, I'm curious as to what a cygwin port would offer that
>>NT/Emacs does not.
>>
>>- Paul
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>
>

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".