Subject: RE: winsup\tty.c
From: [email-masked] (Sergey Okhapkin)

24 Mar 1998 09:45:07 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> In tty.c there are complaints about the inability to do overlapped-io
> on anonymous pipes.  The solution is do not use pipes, use sockets.
> create a socketpair() function similar to that used on unix and then
> perform all of your pipe operations with sockets.  the benefits of
> select() on your code are unimaginable.

The disadvantages of socketpair() method:

1. It require tcp/ip to be installed. B19 can run on computers without 
tcp/ip installed.

2. B19 implements loading of wsock32.dll on demand to speed-up process 
startup about 20%. With socketpair() every running process will load 
wsock32.dll when tty support is enabled. The toolset will run _slower_ than 
now with pipe polling.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia
Looking for a job

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".