Subject: RE: bash and '&'
From: [email-masked] (Bob McGowan)

24 Mar 1998 00:26:41 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: Alexei Podtelezhnikov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

A quick check of the tools in the cygwin bin shows that the tool needed
for this is not there - either just not done yet or may not be possible
to do given the differences in UNIX and NT.

Also, note that the & is how background processes are run in UNIX
shells, but is not enough to assure that the program will continue to
run after logging out (at least for most systems).  On a UNIX system you
need to either use the "nohup" command or otherwise handle the hangup
signal generated by most UNIX systems when the modem disconnects.  I
have no idea how this might be done on an NT system.

----
Bob McGowan
i'm bobmcgow at xstor dot com
Storage Dimensions, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 1998 2:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: bash and '&'

I want to leave a simple program running after quiting the shell, and
even logging off. It's done under unix by adding '&'. I failed to do
this using cygwin32. Is it supposed to behave the same way under
cygwin32? What should I do?

Thanks.
Alexei

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".