Subject: RE: Emacs 20.2 port in the works
From: [email-masked] (Parker, Ron)

20 Mar 1998 21:28:00 -0800
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=Butler_Manufactu%l=BUILDINGS/BLDGSHUB/[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Paul Kinnucan <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>

I am aware of:
*	Geoff Voelker's NTEmacs port to Win32
*	Eli Zaretskii's djgpp port to MSDOS and Windows
*	Hisashi Miyashita's MULE for Win32
*	XEmacs Win32 porting project

I have heard expressed on this list many repeated problems and
difficulties with using NTEmacs in a complete cygwin32 environment.

My purpose in porting emacs, is manifold. First off, I was unaware of
the XEmacs Win32 effort. It sounds promising but looks to be a longer
term solution. I want an emacs that can be run in a console window or in
X-Windows. This is due to my using these tools remotely from home on a
server at work. I want to supply a set of patches to the maintainers of
GNU Emacs, so that cygwin32 will compile "out-of-the-box" and the newest
version will always be available. Also, I desired to have the smallest
set of patches possible to enable this so that there would be very few
cygwin32 dependencies in the GNU source and therefore a very small
chance of newer versions not working with cygwin32.

My first compile of emacs 20.2 was accomplished by creating an
src/s/cygwin32.h file and updating configure.in in the top level
directory. Since then the editor has essentially worked "as expected". 

My previous message stated that I did not have subprocess support. That
was inaccurate. I had not tested the subprocess support. After testing
it, it is clean and works well. With one minor change to cygwin32.h I
corrected the filename problem that I mentioned. I have determined that
I will not link it with the lesstif libraries due to runtime errors
emitted by using the menus. The only thing I have left to do is to
perfect the dumping of the executable. For the uninitiated, this greatly
speeds the initial loading time of the application. I am very close to
having this completed and have put fewer than 8 hours into my porting
effort.

I still welcome additional input.

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	Paul Kinnucan [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Wednesday, March 18, 1998 5:41 AM
>To:	Parker, Ron
>Subject:	Re: Emacs 20.2 port in the works
>
>At 12:51 PM 3/16/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>I am porting the newest version of Emacs, currently 20.2, to the
>>gnu-win32 environment. Its probably asking for trouble by anouncing this
>>before it is completed. But, I wanted to spare anyone from duplicating
>>my efforts and to be certain I am not duplicating someone else's work.
>>
>
>Hi Ron,
>
>Just wanted to check and make sure you are aware of NT/Emacs? 
>
>If so, I'm curious as to what a cygwin port would offer that
>NT/Emacs does not.
>
>- Paul
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".