Subject: Re: Compiling gcc 2.8.1
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

19 Mar 1998 21:28:27 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Ronald Pijnacker <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> I have CDK b19 and I am trying to compile the source of gcc 2.8.1
> myself, because I need the objective-c part. I am expreriencing the
> following problems:
> 
> in prefix.c there are some functions that cannot be resolved.
>    RegOpenKeyExA and RegQueryValueExA.
> Which library do they belong to?

That's because gcc-2.8.0+ uses the Registry, and you need to supply
-ladvapi32 when bootstrapping the stage1 compiler.

> 
> After commenting this stuff out (is that smart?) I get a stage 1
> compilation. When building the stage 2 compiler, I get the error
> message: crt0.o not found.

If you want to use the Cygnus b19 pathnames, you need to configure
things differently.
  
  % configure --prefix=/Cygnus/B19 \
    --exec-prefix=/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32 \
    --host=i386-cygwin32

The other choice is to use the pre-built egcs-1.0.2 distribution, which
works just as well as 2.8.1, and possibly more stable under cygwin32
b19. Gives you everything, plus some cygwin32-specific fixes not in 
FSF gcc-2.8.x. If you want to stay with FSF gcc, you can always use
egcs-1.0.2 to bootstrap it; that's what I do.

See http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ for info on
downloading it. I just sent out the announcement, but of course it'll
take a week before it shows up on this. Direct FTP URL is
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/releases/.

Mumit
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".