Subject: RE: rm -R reports "circular reference"
From: [email-masked] (Scott Blachowicz)

19 Mar 1998 20:47:58 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>, "Dean C Wills" <[email-masked]>,
        <[email-masked]>

> I would run scandisk to make sure it is not a real error first. You might
> really have a circular reference. See if deltree(win95 command) deletes
the
> directory.

I'd bet that it isn't really an error - I would imagine that rm is tracking
circularity by tracking which inode/device numbers it has seen before.
Since Windows doesn't have inode numbers, they have to be faked and I think
previous discussions have pointed out that the faking is imperfect (i.e. it
sometimes spits out duplicate inode numbers).

Or something like that...your mileage may vary...:-)

--
Scott Blachowicz
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".