Subject: Re: rm -R reports "circular reference"
From: [email-masked] (raf)

19 Mar 1998 15:15:34 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Larry Hall wrote:
>raf wrote:
>>Weiqi Gao wrote:
>>>I encountered an error while trying to "rm -R" a directory tree.  rm
>>>reports "circular reference" in the directory structure.

>>>I seem to remember seeing such errors being discussed, but couldn't find
>>>the details of when such error would occur.

>>>BTW.  The directory tree I tried to delete was the one created by "MS
>>>Media Manager" from the MS Visual Studio 97 Enterprise Edition.

>>is is on a FAT filesystem?
>>i think filesystem corruption
>>is one of its specialities :)

>>seriously though, can't help here
>>except to say your filesystem may
>>be corrupt and need repair.

>Not to be harsh but I think you are wrong.  This is, I believe, the old
>non-unique inode problem in cygwin.  I expect there is little wrong with
>the filesystem and allot wrong with the inode generation algorithm in 
>cygwinb19.dll.  This problem manifests itself that way.

yes, i remember now :)
the fix (as suggested long ago) was to generate pseudo-inode numbers
from the absolute path, not just the basename.

raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".