Subject: Re: chmod
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

17 Mar 1998 14:24:44 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:12:27 -0700
>From: "glen e. p. ropella" <[email-masked]>
>To: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>
>Subject: chmod
>
>> How do I set /etc up?
>> 
>> If you want a valid /etc set up (so "ls -l" will display correct user 
information for example) and if you are running
>> NT (preferably with an NTFS file system), you should just need to 
create the /etc directory on the filesystem
>> mounted as / and then use mkpasswd and mkgroup to create /etc/passwd 
and /etc/group respectively. Since
>> Windows 95's Win32 API is less complete, you're out of luck if you're 
running Windows 95! 
>
>Can I take this entry from the FAQ to mean that one cannot chmod, 
chgrp, or 
>successfully use "ls -l" from Win95?  My problem is the following:  I 
gunzip/untar

You can use ls -l, the information about the uid and gid are stubbed.  
You can have a /etc/passwd and /etc/group file, for the uid/gid matching 
the stub it will print out the info in ls -l.

You cannot effectively use chmod or chgrp.

>a source distribution in which the configure script (and it's 
subscripts... otherwise
>I could do a "sh configure") are in mode 644 as opposed to 755.  I then 
try to 
>chmod 755 config* and the chmod program doesn't complain; but, when I 
then 
>try a ./configure, I get a permission denied.  Any help would be 
greatly 
>appreciated.

Does the configure script contain an initial line of #!/bin/sh ?

Have you upgraded your cygwinb19.dll file?  If not there is a b19.1 
version of the cygwinb19.dll.

What does your CYGWIN32 environment variable contain?

How are your directories "mounted"?

>
>Thanks.
>glen
>-- 
>Glen E. Ropella                  (505) 424-0448
>The Swarm Corporation            [email-masked]

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".