Subject: chmod on NT
From: [email-masked] (Peter Gordon)

17 Mar 1998 06:37:18 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ayal Bahari <[email-masked]>

Hi.

In a Unix environment, we normally consider chmod 777 file as setting
all the bits on a file to "on", so that we can do whatever we like to
the file. 

What happens in NT is the opposite. There are other bits, such as the
delete bit, which get set "off", so that although the file can be
read, written and executed, it can no longer be deleted.

The workaround is to always use +777 or -777, so that only those bits
get set. As far as I can see, there is no way of setting the delete
flag to "on" with chmod.

Either chmod should be changed so that it never touches any flags,
except for read, write and execute or there should be an option to set
and unset all the flags.

Peter

-- 
Peter Gordon
Tel: (972) 8 9432430  Fax: (972) 8 9432429  Email: [email-masked]
Valor Ltd, PO Box 152, Yavne 70600, Israel

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".