Subject: Re: pre-compiled X11R6.3 for b19 available
From: [email-masked] (Arlindo da Silva)

17 Mar 1998 06:08:17 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked] (James G. Stallings II)
Cc: [email-masked]

Dear James,

> I've used the the full environment (cdk.exe) vb18 as a viable shell
> solution for win95 for a bit now, and I'm quite impressed with the work
> you all have done.
> 
> I'd like to move up (as painlessly as possible) to b19 with the X11R6.3
> binaries and clients. If possible, I'd like to substitute an X Environment
> for the win95 GUI.
>

   I am not sure if it makes sense to entirely substitute one environment by
the other.  Since X and win95 GUI can co-exist I find myself using both. As a
rule of thumb, if you have a native port of an application and an X port, more
often than not the native port is faster and more robust. Beware, that X
clients generally run more reliably on winNT than on win95. One typical
problem that I have experienced is the win95 (but not winNT) miss/delay of
some X events.  Running nedit or ImageMagick on win95 can be quite frustating
at times. (This miss/delay of events is not exclusive of GNU Win32; X
aplications built with the CodeWarier kit have the sample problem).
 
> Any suggestions or tips for a smooth transition from a text-oriented b18
> installation to b19 and X?

   Get yourself a reliable X server. Starnet's x-win32 is adequate; MI/X has
too many limitations, mainly the fact that it does not fully support the
Athena widgets. I personally use eXceed, but it is somewhat pricy. Follow
links on my page 

        http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.3 

for other available X servers.

   Cheers!

-- 
Arlindo da Silva    
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".