Subject: Telnet and use of notty
From: [email-masked] (Administrator)

16 Mar 1998 10:19:41 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: "Gnu-Win32 Archive (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>

I have read much on the use of "notty" to get non cygwin32 apps running
over telnet. My experience shows that this is not the case. As far as I
can see, when inetd.exe is run as a service it will not allow other apps
to be started. I can run lemmy, vi or notepad from a telnetted command
line and they never appear. I have tried all the various combinations
using notty & nobinmode, but to no avail.

However! If I run inetd from a cmd prompt, then I can start non-cygwin32
apps from a telnetted command line REGARDLESS of the cygwin32 setting. I
then thought about allowing the inetd service to interact with the
desktop. When it starts up it opens a cmd window... bingo! Non cygwin32
apps begin working again. 

So, the end result is that non cygwin32 apps require inetd to be running
in a cmd window. Not ideal. And I still get the following bail out if I
run ls in the directory "Program\ Files/gnuwin32/H-i386-cygwin32/bin",
but no other:

	(unknown) Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
	(unknown) Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
	(unknown) Error while dumping state (probably corrupted stack)
	fork_helper: child died before initialization with win32 error 0
	bash: fork: No more processes

More and more weird. 

Help!

Lunto
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".