Subject: Stripped Tcl/Tk shells give Out of Mem error
From: [email-masked] (Tim Park)

16 Mar 1998 09:19:09 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

(I've sent this twice and haven't seen it show up.  I read that the list is
slow, but sorry, I think 10 days is a bit long to wait for a msg to show up.
I lost the original message that contained objdump and stack traces that can
be emailed on request)

I posted a while ago that I had compiled Tcl/Tk from cdk-src and the shells
worked.  The cygtclsh80.exe that comes with cdk.exe is 5632 bytes.  The one
that I compiled is 170053 bytes.  I noticed the debug segments in my
binary with the objdump command that someone mentioned.  Then I ran
"strip cygtclsh80.exe" on my binary, and got a binary of 5632 bytes.
Running it gave the same "Out of Memory" error as the one that comes
with cdk.exe.  Although the DLL that I compiled was larger than cdk.exe's,
my cygtclsh80.exe seemed to work with cdk.exe's DLL.

I hope this is helpful to somebody.  (I'm running W95 OSR1, 32M)
Unfortunately, I'm not out of the woods yet, because I can't get the Tix
shell to run.  cdk.exe's gives the "Out of Memory" error.  My compiled
cdk-src's gives the error "Permission denied".  Running under a DOS shell,
no bash, gives "The program is in an invalid format, and cannot be run.
It may be damaged."

Among the warnings that I got during the compile was:
/Cygnus/B19/H-I386~1/i386-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe: warning: cannot find entry
symbol _WinMainCRTStartup; defaulting to 00401000
Can someone help with this?

Someone mentioned "the old .rsrc bug".  Can someone point me towards
information on this?  I tried removing the .rsrc as was suggested, but
got a Windows crash dialog with "<unknown>" as the program name.
Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.
--
Tim Park # [email-masked] # http://www.fiction.org/www/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".