Subject: directory listings
From: [email-masked] (Scott Mueller)

15 Mar 1998 04:44:58 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I can't believe how incredibly frustrating it has been to simply display
a list of files in the current directory with a c program.  I wrote code
using opendir and readdir in dirent.h that works perfect.  However, I
can't have that extra .dll file.  So, before I knew about mingw32, I
downloaded djgpp and lcc.  djgpp worked, but would only list files as
8.3 format.  Then, lcc didn't have dirent.h.  It had io.h, which
contained findfirst and findnext.  That seems to work except it keeps
crashing after running?!  So, now I try mingw32 and compile, but get
errors of
unresolved references resembling those in part 2.7 of the readme.  I
can't fix that.

Now what do I do?
We have Visual C++ 4.0 at work and I couldn't get that to work either.
There are FindFirstFile and FindNextFile which seem to be what I want,
but I don't know how to use them.  One of the parameters is a HANDLE and
I don't know what that is or which header file it'd be under or how to
instantiate it...

Watcom C, which we have at work also, gives screenfuls of weird errors
when trying to compile.

Can anyone help me?  I just want to run a c program that displays
filenames in the current directory at the dos prompt.  SO MUCH
appreciation will be given!
--
Scott Mueller
Serious Fun Inc
http://www.seriousfun.net/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".