Subject: New cygwinb19.dll on my web site
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Faylor)

14 Mar 1998 14:34:33 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

I've just put up a new .dll on my web site.  It is based on the recent
release of Cygwin32 B19.1.

The differences are listed on the web site as:

1. Experimental change to allow read() interruption by signal, e.g.:
   alarm(5); getchar()

2. Change to Cygwin32 memory sharing strategy for slight performance increase.

3. Change to readlink() errno logic to fix problems with RCS.

4. Experimental registry options.  Allows setting CYGWIN32 style options on
   a program by program basis.

5. Fix to make a dup of a tty fd preserve O_* settings in the dup'ed fd.

Here's a slightly more detailed description of the changes:

1. The "read() interruption by signal" change uses a separate thread for
   reading.  This thread is terminated when a signal is received, which sort
   of emulates the way UNIX works when SA_RESTART is not active.  Since
   I'm using a separate thread, there is a possibility that I've introduced
   a race condition on reads, so this change is still experimental.

2. The readlink() change is to cause a readlink() on a non-existent file to
   return errno == ENOENT.  It required changing a low level function in
   Cygwin32, so I'd appreciate it if people would try this out before I
   submit it to Cygnus.

3. The memory sharing change avoids the use of memory mapped memory to
   share information between separate cygwin processes.  It should be
   marginally faster than the mmapped method.

4. The registry options are *very* experimental but I have been using them
   for several months.  To use, create a key:

	HKEY_CURRENT_USER
	  Software
	    Cygnus Solutions
	      b15.0
		Program Options

   Under "Program Options" you can create a value of something, like
   "c:\bin\bash.exe" with a string value containing CYGWIN32 options
   like "binmode tty", etc.  This will cause bash to always start up 
   with binmode tty.  These options will *not* show up in your CYGWIN32
   environment variable, however, so they will not be inherited.

5. Without this change the duped target a tty fd that is opened O_RDWR will
   not have O_RDWR attributes.

I probably won't have time to put the source code of my patches up on my
web page before I go out of town for a few days but I will make the source
available eventually, for the curious or masochistic.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".