Subject: text-vs-binary yet again
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

14 Mar 1998 14:16:34 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On 10-Mar-1998, Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> As an aside, I don't know how you are going to use cygwin32 but if you 
> plan to port any UNIX code you will need to modify your mounts to be 
> text=binary.  Check out the archives and FAQ for this.

No, you don't need to modify your mounts to be text=binary.

The other alternative is to fix any places where the source code
of whatever it is you're porting opens binary files without specifying
"b"/O_BINARY in the fopen/open flags, and to fix any places where
the source code makes assumptions about the representation of text
files.

This alternative is a little more work, but the resulting programs
will be able to interoperate with native Windows programs much better.

-- 
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".