Subject: fread fails when fopen is used without "rb"
From: [email-masked] (Kevin Cutts)

12 Mar 1998 22:49:48 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I made a mistake and opened a binary file using fopen("file","r"). Note that 
I forgot to open it with "rb". When I read the file, I could only read part
of the file: the read only suceeded for 2081 bytes of the 345K! Believing
that I had made a coding mistake, I tried 'wc'. It agreed with my code: they 
both 'think' the file has 2081 bytes. However emacs and ls both realize the
file is much larger. (When I used a truly ascii file, the size worked
correctly. The code hack does work correctly under the Metrowerks compiler.)

Does this seem like the correct behaviour? I can't trust wc because it
obviously opens as text. I looked in the faq without seeing anything that
suggests this operation. In this case the failure was the best thing that
could have happened because I discovered that the legacy unix code needs
some work around the binary/text problems. 

PS. I have the binary file which exhibits this problem if anyone is
interested. 

-- 
Kevin M. Cutts  IL02-2928               Motorola, Inc., CCR&D
Email ckc006 -at- email.mot.com         1301 E. Algonquin Rd.                   
Work (847) 576-9056                     Schaumburg, IL  60196                   
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".