Subject: Re: Cannot build executable
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

12 Mar 1998 16:48:08 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:05:16 -0600
>From: Wayne Walker <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Cannot build executable
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>
>Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?  The error looks like it is 
parsing

Yep, your assuming ;-) that libsocket.a exists.

>the arguments to gcc wrong.  It appears to be attempting to open a file
>name -lsocket rather than libsocket.a
>
>This is what I get when I try my first build with the cdk (b18, because
>my programs will HAVE to exec Win32 apps without closing file
>descriptors).  GCC_EXEC_PREFIX is set to:
>
>C:\gnuwin32\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\
>
>I loaded in the default location.
>
>bash$ make httpsvc
>gcc -o httpsvc httpsvc.o sgi_utils.o 
-L/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/lib/  -lsocket -lresolv 
-lnsl -lucb
>/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe: cannot open 
-lsocket: No such file or directory

This is saying that libsocket.a does not exist in the library search 
path(s).  If you "ls 
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/lib/libsocket.a" you will 
find that it does not exist.

>gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 1
>make: *** [httpsvc] Error 1
>
>
>Thanks for any help you can provide!

Your, welcome

>-- 
>
>Regards,
>    Wayne
>

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".