Subject: Re: b19 `make' impressions
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

12 Mar 1998 05:44:00 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

For b19 make to act as it did in b18 you need to have "SET 
MAKE_MODE=UNIX".  Also, to get anything to work correctly you must get 
the sh.exe and cygwinb19.dll update from Christopher Faylor's page.  If 
you communicate with NON-CYGWIN programs from bash you will need to "SET 
CYGWIN32=notty" before executing bash.  The tty setting must not change 
for that session of bash or the child process will be confused and will 
cause aborts with core dumps.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

>From: "Donald O. Sitze" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: b19 `make' impressions
>Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 13:44:37 -0800
>
>Kevin Layer ([email-masked]) wrote:
>
>I know this isn't useful as a bug report.  I just want to give my
>impressions.
>After upgrading to b19 (from b18) `make' acted very, very weird.  It
>complained about unknown source file types (I was making a target
>named dcl.dxl and it complained that dcl.dxl was an unknown source
>file type).
>This is on a makefile that seconds before worked fine with b18's
>`make'.
>Second, I got crashes in the "16-bit subsystem" NTVDM in make.exe (or
>was it cmd.exe?) while make was running.
>I even tried Sergey's new dll (as of yesterday), but that didn't
>change things.  I also rebooted, to make sure it wasn't a transient
>problem.
>I've had to go back to b18 to do useful work.
>If there's a fix that is supposed to fix these problems, I will be
>will to try it out.
>
>
>I had similar problems using make under B19. I was using the default 
"unix"
>option for make and had errors of this type
>and occasionally an Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error in sh.exe
>during a build. As it turns out, both of
>these problems appear to have resulted from the fact that I followed my
>habit of copying "bash.exe" to /bin/sh.exe during the
>installation. When I copied "sh.exe" from the H-i386-cygwin32/bin 
directory
>to /bin the problems I was experiencing went away.
>
>While trying to track this down, I also discovered that I was unable to
>'make clean' if I used the win32 option for make. (where the clean 
target
>rules simply tried to "rm" several files.) The rules "appeared" on the
>output, but did nothing. This problem also
>went away after fixing the sh/bash problem.
>
>Donald O. Sitze
>[email-masked]
>
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".