Subject: Re: Mingw (gcc 2.8.1) and sh/bash
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

12 Mar 1998 05:43:39 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>Subject: Re: Mingw (gcc 2.8.1) and sh/bash
>To: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)
>Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:52:15 +0100 (MET)
>From: "Axel Riese" <[email-masked]>
>
>Hi Earnie,
>
>Thanks for your help.

Your, welcome.

>
>> Glad to see that your trying Mingw32.  I've noticed that due to 
changes 
>> made in b19 to stdin, stdout and stderr that you cannot use Mingw32 
or 
>> any other native compiled Win32 with b19 bash.
>
>Really ? IIRC I can run for instance Win32 LaTeX (from MikTeX).
>Anyway, does this mean that I have to change all my Makefiles that
>call non-cygwin programs to use COMMAND.COM as my shell (with
>MAKE_MODE != UNIX) ???
> 
<snip>
You need to go get the sh.exe and cygwinb19.dll updates from Christopher 
Faylor's page.  He anounced these updates, which I installed yesterday 
and found that things are much better.

You must "SET CYGWIN32=notty" before starting bash.  I also add 
nobinmode that list.

If you "SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX" then make will work as it did before.  If 
you wish to "UNSET MAKE_MODE" then the Makefile must not use the \ for 
escaping, must use the \ for the path delimitor, and must use a ; for 
any path list seperator.  Make will ignore the SHELL variable that is 
set and will use command.com or cmd.exe reqardless.

Christopher's URL is in the list below my signature.

Hope this helps,

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf     (Christopher Faylor - package ports)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=gnu-win32&r=1&w=2#gnu-win32
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".