Subject: Compiling gnuplot
From: [email-masked] (Adam Taylor)

12 Mar 1998 05:43:13 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Folks,

I'm trying to compile gnuplot under b18 NT 4.0 sp3.  I gather that this
has been done successfully, but it's not working for me.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.  I understand that 95/NT binaries for
gnuplot are available, but I need to use gnuplot with octave (which I
_have_ successfully compiled), so I need a version of gnuplot that
expects UNIX-style pathnames, etc.  The available binaries are
honest-to-goodness ports of gnuplot to 95/NT, and so use 95/NT style
pathnames, etc.

This is what I did:

1) Downloaded the gnuplot 3.6 beta 340 sources from
http://science.nas.nasa.gov/~woo/gnuplot/beta/

2) Untarred & ungzipped everything in c:\install (a.k.a. /install).

3) Modified the configure script so that it looks for X includes and
libraries in /usr/X/include and /usr/X/lib, respectively.  (configure
wasn't finding this stuff prior to this modification.)  My X libs and
includes are from Mumit Khan's web page.

4) Did a 'configure --prefix=/software/gnu'. (/software/gnu is where I
install all the UNIXesque software I use.)

5) Did a 'make'

6) Copied 'gnuplot.exe' and 'gnuplot_x11.exe' to 'gnuplot' and
'gnuplot_x11', respectively.

7) Did a 'make install'

8) Copied 'gnuplot' and 'gnuplot_x11' to 'gnuplot.exe' and
'gnuplot_x11.exe', respectively, in the install bin directory,
/software/gnu/bin.

9) Started up my X server.

10) Did a 'gnuplot simple.plt', where simple.plt is the following:

set samples 50
plot [-10:10] sin(x),atan(x),cos(atan(x))

At this point, a window pops up, one of the ones with the red circle
with the white 'x' inside it.  The titlebar of this window says
'gnuplot_x11 - Unable To Locate ...'.  There is no text inside the
window proper, just an 'OK' button.  I don't think this window was put
up by the X server, because the icon in the upper left-hand corner is
one of the 'flying windows' icons, not the little X terminal icon the
server puts on its windows.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is here?  Is gnuplot_x11
unable to find a shared library, perhaps?  All my X-related dll's are in
/usr/X/bin.  Is gnuplot_x11 looking for .so files or something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Adam Taylor
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".