Subject: RE: lstat /u failed
From: [email-masked] (Bob McGowan)

12 Mar 1998 05:36:54 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]

Felix,

I just finished trying out what you did on my system.  I created a
script like what you have below with an added pwd, and ran it on my
system using both bash and sh.  I got no errors.  However, I am new at
this cygwin32 stuff, and could not get the interactive bash shell to run
the script directly, so I just said "sh /path_to_script" and "bash
/path_to_script" to test.  Now in addition I had the directory
containing the script on another drive mounted so I could say
/mountpt/path to do this.  THEN I used double slash as in "sh //e/path"
and this generated the error, like yours:

	cd: lstat /e failed

BUT this only happens with sh, not bash.  I remember reading that in
B19, sh had been changed to a program called "ash" and was no longer a
link to bash.  I would assume that facilities built into bash to support
the //d/ form of paths, where d is a drive letter, have not been
incorporated into ash.  It looks like you can fix this by mounting your
drives and using the mount path in the PATH variable.

Bob McGowan
i'm bobmcgow at xstor dot com

-----Original Message-----
From: Felix Klee [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 3:43 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: cd: lstat /u failed

Hi,

I am running Windows NT 4 using Cygwin32 BETA 19 as shell.
I wrote this script which runs fine on LINUX:

> #!/bin/sh
> cd `dirname $0`

If I put it in a directory specified in $PATH and execute it I get
the following error message:

> cd: lstat /u failed

Does anybody know how to avoid this error?

Thanks,

Felix

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".