Subject: Re: Mingw (gcc 2.8.1) and sh/bash
From: [email-masked]

12 Mar 1998 05:19:05 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

>   [email-masked]
>   Tue, 10 Mar 1998 15:35:11 GMT
>>   Axel Riese ([email-masked])
>>   Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:02:40 +0100 (MET)
>>
>>I downloaded Jan-Jaap's new version of Mingw32/gcc (March 8, I think) and
>>encountered the following strange problem.
>>
>>If I run gcc from COMMAND.COM everything works fine. If I instead run it
>>from sh or bash, compilation works but linking fails without doing
>>anything. Moreover, typing gcc -v gives nothing, whereas from COMMAND.COM
>>I see that the specs file is found. With version 2.8.0 I did not have
>>this problem.
>>
>All I can say is that I managed to configure and make the latest lynx
>source code using the March 8 addon mingw32/cygwin32, and it didn't
>even occur to me to go into bash to do the linking.
>
Well, that isn't quite true.  It turns out that the chrtrans makefile
doesn't work properly when running under Mingw32.  The reason appears
to be that the lynx chrtrans makefile generates an executable,
makeuctb.exe, which is then used to convert a bunch of .tbl files to
..h files using output redirection.

Since stdout redirection is broken in b19 between crtdll.dll programs
and cygwinb19.dll programs, the portion of the Ming lynx make that does
this fails, and you have to go back and run a batch file in Dos mode to
make it happen.

This is also the case in Dos batch files that used to work under b18,
such as man.bat:

	sh zcat %1 | nroff -man - | col | less
will fail if nroff, col, or less are not cygwin programs.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".