Subject: Hoax virus
From: [email-masked]

11 Mar 1998 21:21:52 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Re: "WIN A HOLIDAY" Virus warning from ernie_boyd...

>Subject: Fwd: Fw: Message re VIRUS received, quoted and forwarded as 
>    directed

Congratulations, you have just spread this "hoax virus".  This type of
virus has been around for a couple of years, first known as "GOOD TIMES".
It is spread by well meaning victims forwarding it to everybody that
they know, who then forward it again, etc.   Fortunately, the only damage
that it does is waste time to read and forward it, email bandwidth to
mail it, and storage space to hold it in receiving inboxes.

It should be pointed out that it is impossible to get a virus from reading
a message as text.  You would have to execute an attached binary, or
open a WORD document with automatic macro execution enabled.  Reading
a text document, however, cannot possibly "erase everything on your hard
drive."

Education about what things can spread a virus and what cannot is the best
defense against these hoax viruses.  Please do not forward this virus to
your friends, but perhaps educate them instead.

marcus hall
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".