Subject: Re: On the subject of the "go slow" & telnet
From: [email-masked] (Geoff Hart)

11 Mar 1998 21:15:26 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Administrator" <[email-masked]>,
        "Gnu-Win32 Archive (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>

>Very odd. I have now got telnet working and I find the response
>extremely quick. If I kick off a number of command shells running bash
>they all hang around for ages before giving me a prompt. The telnet
>session (via Reflections 1) is instant. I find that all the command
>prompts hang... and then they all free up simultaneously.

Yes, I see this too.  I have three different NT4.0 boxes installed with
the identical Cygwin (b18) binaries (I just copy my whole tree over), and
on the first machine I never have delays, on the second I have them in
certain circumstances, and the third has them for all new BASH shells -
with the exception of telnet sessions.  It seems the environment which
telnetd lanches BASH, fixes the delay problem.

I've looked at the environment variables, but I can't find anything
that changes the behavior.  Perhaps it's part of the tty processing?

Here's a description:

 1) if I start a DOS shell, then fire up bash, it sits there about 20
    seconds before giving me a prompt.  Then, it works fine for a while.
    after some time, I'll type a command, the command will execute
    immediately, but the prompt takes about 20 seconds to appear.  Then
    things will work fine for while - then repeat.

 2) shells fired up from within rxvt windows sometimes show this, sometimes
    don't.

 3) shells fired up from within telnetd never show it.

 4) I'm running Sergey's 2.01 version of bash, with his cygwyn.dll, and
    remote package (and X libraries for rxvt).  Everything else is pretty
    standard b18.

Geoff

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".