Subject: Re: console.cc patch for console colors
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

11 Mar 1998 04:33:49 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

At 11:34 AM 3/9/98 GMT, [email-masked] wrote:
>>   Larry Hall ([email-masked])
>>   Sun, 08 Mar 1998 23:49:06 -0500
>>
>>I'm happy to announce that I've made my first patch for cygwinb19.dll!  Big
>>deal, I know.  I've included the patch below for those interested.
>>
>>The patch fixes bugs and adds functionality to terminal color handling
>>facilities in cygwinb19.dll (console.cc).  The first patch includes the
>>changes
>>made to the console.cc file by Sergey's "morefcntl.diff" patch from March
>>5, 1998.  I've also added and enabled a little functionality (dim and
>>invisible
>>console modes)
>
>Do you by any chance know whether the mouseclick escape codes have been
>completely implemented?

I only looked closely at the console color escape codes.  I'm not sure what
state the mouse codes are in...

>For those who want to just use changes rather than build them, I've uploaded
>>a zip file called cygwinDLLwithConsoleColorPatch.zip to the incoming
directory
>>on ftp.deninc.com.  Hopefully it will be moved to a more appropriate spot
>>soon.
>
>Careful.  He sends nasty email if you write things like that.

No offense was intended by my comment.  I was only trying to refer to the
fact that the incoming directory was a temporary home and that it will
eventually move, when our good site manager had the opportunity to do so.
To avoid confusion on where to find it, I simply hoped the move would 
happen sooner rather than later.  It seems my hopes have been addressed.
Anyone looking for my zip file should find it at: 

  ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub/CygwinDLLwithConsoleColor

<snip>

>>highlighting.  It seems to work well for me.  If you don't like having a
>>black background and white foreground, this patch is for you!;-)
>>
>Strange thing.  libslang does this as well.  BUT, libmcslang, the older
>version from the Midnight Commander distribution does mostly color.  I
>know, because I tried it out with lynx, and I got really good foreground,
>not so good background, but a really _clean_ readable screen!

I haven't looked at libslang or libmcslang but I would guess that they
are defining a background color, which probably maps to black.  The cygwin
DLL was doing much the same thing.  Most of what I did was use the default
console background color rather than black in the cases where the 
background color was not being explicitly set.  This should still allow 
people to set black backgrounds or get black backgrounds by default, if
that's the color they use for their console.  I will admit, however, that
I expect all of this really only affects cmd.exe on NT where it is possible 
to alter the console colors for foreground and background.  I'm not sure if 
there is a way to do this on 9x with command.com.  You'd probably need a 
different command shell that can change console colors on 9x (perhaps
4DOS??).  Eventually, I will investigate this.  If anyone has information
on altering console colors on 9x, feel free to speak up!;-)

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                    http://www.rfk.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".