Subject: Re: Cygnus b19 gcc and Mingw32
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Faylor)

10 Mar 1998 22:34:12 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
Paul Kinnucan  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>Colin Peters wrote:
>>> 
>>> On a new point. Are Mingw32 programs the only ones suffering from bizarre
>>> problems with stdin, stdout and such under bash? I seem to remember
>>> something about non-Cygwin32 programs
>>> having output disappear, and it definitely happens to me.
>>> 
>
>This phenomenon has been discussed on the NTEmacs mailing list. I believe
>it was determined there that B19-compiled applications do not
>interact with non-B19 apps, e.g., Win32 or B18 apps, via stdin, stdout,
>or stderr. Thus, if you are using B19 bash to run a Win32 app or a
>B18-compiled app, do not expect to see output from that app in the
>bash window. More succinctly, you cannot run Windows apps from the
>bash command shell.
>
>The following excerpt from the B19 README file hints obliquely at
>this situation:
>
>"Note that a B19-compiled application exec()ing a B18-compiled
>application will treat the B18-compiled executable as an ordinary Win32
>executable.  This means that open file descriptors and some other
>internals will not be inheritted on exec() calls.  The reason for this
>is that different shared memory areas are used by the different versions
>of the cygwin library.  This may or may not be of importance to you
>depending on what you're doing."
>
>As I read the situation, Cygnus seems, with B19, to be moving to 
>a situation where Unix apps live in a hermetically sealed world, 
>isolated from the Windows environment. Unix is Unix and Windows
>is Windows and ne'er the twain shall meet. I think this, if true, is
>unfortunate. I want the best of two worlds, not to be forced to live
>with one or the other.

Don't worry.  It's a bug.  It will be fixed.

It should be fixed in the .dll on my web page:

	http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".