Subject: Re: b19 `make' impressions
From: [email-masked] (Donald O. Sitze)

10 Mar 1998 20:05:54 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

Kevin Layer ([email-masked]) wrote:

I know this isn't useful as a bug report.  I just want to give my
impressions.
After upgrading to b19 (from b18) `make' acted very, very weird.  It
complained about unknown source file types (I was making a target
named dcl.dxl and it complained that dcl.dxl was an unknown source
file type).
This is on a makefile that seconds before worked fine with b18's
`make'.
Second, I got crashes in the "16-bit subsystem" NTVDM in make.exe (or
was it cmd.exe?) while make was running.
I even tried Sergey's new dll (as of yesterday), but that didn't
change things.  I also rebooted, to make sure it wasn't a transient
problem.
I've had to go back to b18 to do useful work.
If there's a fix that is supposed to fix these problems, I will be
will to try it out.

I had similar problems using make under B19. I was using the default "unix"
option for make and had errors of this type
and occasionally an Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error in sh.exe
during a build. As it turns out, both of
these problems appear to have resulted from the fact that I followed my
habit of copying "bash.exe" to /bin/sh.exe during the
installation. When I copied "sh.exe" from the H-i386-cygwin32/bin directory
to /bin the problems I was experiencing went away.

While trying to track this down, I also discovered that I was unable to
'make clean' if I used the win32 option for make. (where the clean target
rules simply tried to "rm" several files.) The rules "appeared" on the
output, but did nothing. This problem also
went away after fixing the sh/bash problem.

Donald O. Sitze
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".