Subject: Re: Mounts and relative pathnames
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

10 Mar 1998 14:45:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 11:58:57 -0500 (EST)
>From: Kenneth Chiu <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Mounts and relative pathnames
>
>I seem to have a problem with 'ls' and relative pathnames.  I have
>searched the FAQ and the mailing list archives, but haven't found
>anything.  Suppose I do the following sequence:
>
>    mount N:/root /
>    mount N:/dir1 /usr
>    cd /
>    ls usr
>
>I would expect to see the contents of N:/dir1, but instead I see
>nothing.  If I type 'ls /usr', I see what I expect, so I think I'm
>executing the correct 'ls'.  If I type 'cd usr', and then 'ls', I
>also see what I expect.  Here is what my mount table actually looks
>like:
>
>Device                        Directory           Type        Flags
>N:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32 /usr                native      
text!=binary
>N:\tmp                        /tmp                native      
text!=binary
>\\.\tape1:                    /dev/st1            native      
text!=binary
>\\.\tape0:                    /dev/st0            native      
text!=binary
>\\.\b:                        /dev/fd1            native      
text!=binary
>\\.\a:                        /dev/fd0            native      
text!=binary
>N:\root                       /                   native      
text!=binary
>

Is there a physical directory name N:\root\usr?  If so then things will 
get confused/confusing.  Cygwin.dll will not know how to handle this 
instance, and will not handle it the same everytime.

As an aside, I don't know how you are going to use cygwin32 but if you 
plan to port any UNIX code you will need to modify your mounts to be 
text=binary.  Check out the archives and FAQ for this.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/                  (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                   (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                     (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/     (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html           (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/    (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/     (more - software portals)
http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/gnuwin32/rpm   (Redhat Package Manager)
http://www.parallax.co.uk/~andyp/index_text.html  (Andy Piper - ports)

SEARCH ENGINES WITH gnu-win32 mail archive RELATED INDICIES:
http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com
add gnu-win32 or gnuwin32 to the search criteria.

Help for Win32 Beginners: http://www.relisoft.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".