Subject: Re: I'm new
From: [email-masked] (Wei Ku)

10 Mar 1998 07:02:22 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Wei Ku" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Patrick Burrows" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "gnu-win32" <[email-masked]>

Hello, Burrows:

Here is answer to some of your questions:

>I too am new, and was very confused when, thinking I downloaded a c
>compiler, I downloaded some sort of unix shell.
>

Not exactly, what you should get is cdk.exe in which full set of building
utilities ( including g++, c++, gcc, ld, gdb) can be found.

>I downloaded the compiler because I want to learn C (been using VB for too
>long). I am not very familiar with Unix (though I do not mind learning).
And
>while, yes, I know about the doc files at cygnus, I haven't read them
>because the preamble says it does not really apply to Win32 yet.
>
>So my question is, what is a good book, or online source, where I can learn
>the *basics* of Bash ( I only want to know enough so I can compile and run
a
>program). Apparently Bash does not support any of the unix commands I know:
>ls, cd, etc...).
>

You must be kidding us. Almost all the commonly used commands in UNIX are
now ported to cygnus ( including ls, cd, etc ... ) Please read the readme
file in the ftp site ( but unfortunately not in the cdk.exe file ) for more
information about the installation. If you can not use 'ls' there is
something wrong with your installation process.

>BTW--I *did* look at the archives for this list, but, unfortunately, it is
>not searchable. I apologize for this post, because I realize the list must
>get one of these every time someone like me downloads the program, but I
>could not find a similar post in the archives.
>
>Also, is it necessary to use the faux Unix shell? Or can I just use Notepad
>to write my program, and then compile from the command line
>(like g++.exe myprog.cpp).
>

That is the idea. Edit your program and use g++ to compile it. You need to
be careful about the "binary mounting" issue discussed frequently in the
list if you want to use notepad. My own solution is to put a shortcut of
"dos2ux" utility on the desktop and drag the text file onto it before I
compile it since I like notepad and Visual C++ text editor.

Enjoy !

Sincerely,
Wei Ku

***************************************
Department of Physics and Astronomy
The University of Tennessee
1408 Circle Drive
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-1200
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------
Solid State Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
P.O.Box 2008
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6032
Phone: (423) 574-5795
Fax: (423) 574-4143
[email-masked]
***************************************

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".