Subject: Re: I'm new
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall RFK Partners Inc)

9 Mar 1998 18:40:52 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <002601bd4b65$98931cc0$92e0a1cd@master-chen>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Patrick Burrows" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

At 08:13 AM 3/9/98 -0600, Patrick Burrows wrote:
>
>I too am new, and was very confused when, thinking I downloaded a c
>compiler, I downloaded some sort of unix shell.
>
>I downloaded the compiler because I want to learn C (been using VB for too
>long). I am not very familiar with Unix (though I do not mind learning). And
>while, yes, I know about the doc files at cygnus, I haven't read them
>because the preamble says it does not really apply to Win32 yet.
>
>So my question is, what is a good book, or online source, where I can learn
>the *basics* of Bash ( I only want to know enough so I can compile and run a
>program). Apparently Bash does not support any of the unix commands I know:
>ls, cd, etc...).

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  There are versions of all of these 
utilities included in the cdk.  These certainly work fine with bash (from
the cdk).  These utilities from another source may have issues with the 
Cygnus version of bash, although I can't begin to wonder what those issues
would be...

>BTW--I *did* look at the archives for this list, but, unfortunately, it is
>not searchable. I apologize for this post, because I realize the list must
>get one of these everytime someone like me downloads the program, but I
>could not find a similar post in the archives.

Yes, it is true that searching the mail archives is not an obvious option.
Earnie Boyd has suggested the use of two engines for just this task.  They
are:

http://www.findmail.com
http://www.search.com

Check'em out.  I've used the first a couple of times and gotten at least 
some reasonable feedback.  So far, I've had no reason to think that these
won't work. 

>Also, is it necessary to use the faux Unix shell? Or can I just use Notepad
>to write my program, and then compile from the command line
>(like g++.exe myprog.cpp).

If you like command.com (or cmd.exe) and are only trying to build your own
little program, use it instead just as you suggest.  You may even want to 
check out the mingw32 version of the compiler thoughtfully provided by Colin 
Peters.  It removes the reliance on cygwin.dll with all its UNIXy semantics 
and instead links with the MS C runtimes.  You should be able to find the 
stuff at:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/index.html
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html

This may be a better first step for you.

Good luck!

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                    http://www.rfk.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".