Subject: Re: mc-4.1 report under B19 with ncurses 1.9.9e installed
From: [email-masked] (Konstantin Metlov)

9 Mar 1998 14:52:38 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

>>1. mc does not compile out of the box.
>It does if you know what options to pick, and if you have your own
>libtruncate.a to add to the libraries in the makefile.
libtruncate.a is not in the "box".... that's the point.

>> 7. In ./src/Makefile
>Did you know that the lynx people have fixed that?  You define `x = .exe'
at
>the top of the lynx makefile, and all programs suddenly have .exe at the
end.
No I didn't.... but I suppose some makefiles have an option to specify the
program suffix and some don't... I didn't find such an option in mc's
Makefile.... but that's of course does not mean it is absent... Anyway this
is the only line to fix to take .exe suffixes int account (provided install
handles .exe).

>You don't mentions several points:
>1.  Does ncurses work _completely_ with cygwin?  I mean, do you get color
>text?
In my case _almost_ all ncurses tests have passed. I have color text !!! If
I remember well, there were some problems with the output into the "last"
screen position(which shifts all screen by one row)... Anyway, I haven't
seen this BUG in the real life... only in ncurses tests...

>2.  If you use the --with-our-slang option, you don't need ncurses to make
>mc.  And, you get a really good color display.
I have a color display... and I didn't specify which screen library to
use... I'm not sure, but it can happen that mc uses slang with terminfo
database, provided by ncurses...

>3.  Does mc.exe crash when called from the Dos prompt?  On several recent
>versions made with b19 it does.  But it works from the bash$ prompt.
Yes, I have tried... and mc crashed(in DOS)... But it said before it's
death, that "term" anvironment variable is not defined... so I suppose there
are some problems with environment... In fact, there are no Cygnus
environment variables set when I'm in CMD... I set up Cygnus environment
only for bash (in cygnus.bat) file... still... for me it is satisfactory,
because in Windows I use "FAR".

>You can also make tkmc.exe with a little work.
For now my plans are to try msql. This is the goal I want to achieve with
CYGWIN... I need msql, of other free database for one my free projects,
where MS Access is now in use... I feel commercial database is too expensive
for free project ;) And msql should have greater performance than Access...
I'm already on the way and will report to the ML when (and if) there will be
some substantial progress... I saw also other people trying but no reports,
so far....

With the best regards,
          Konstantin Metlov.

PS Yesterday I have compiled finger and have some ld bugs to report.... I'll
do it later ....
PPS Suggestion for msqllers. It should be possible to take truncate() from
mc(./src/util.c) and place it into libmmsql sources, then truncate should be
in place... I didn't have time to try, yet...

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".