Subject: Re: I'm new
From: [email-masked] (Patrick Burrows)

9 Mar 1998 05:40:14 -0800
Message-ID: <002601bd4b65$98931cc0$92e0a1cd.cygnus.gnu-win32@master-chen>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

I too am new, and was very confused when, thinking I downloaded a c
compiler, I downloaded some sort of unix shell.

I downloaded the compiler because I want to learn C (been using VB for too
long). I am not very familiar with Unix (though I do not mind learning). And
while, yes, I know about the doc files at cygnus, I haven't read them
because the preamble says it does not really apply to Win32 yet.

So my question is, what is a good book, or online source, where I can learn
the *basics* of Bash ( I only want to know enough so I can compile and run a
program). Apparently Bash does not support any of the unix commands I know:
ls, cd, etc...).

BTW--I *did* look at the archives for this list, but, unfortunately, it is
not searchable. I apologize for this post, because I realize the list must
get one of these everytime someone like me downloads the program, but I
could not find a similar post in the archives.

Also, is it necessary to use the faux Unix shell? Or can I just use Notepad
to write my program, and then compile from the command line
(like g++.exe myprog.cpp).

As I said, I *am* willing to learn the shell interface, but I really don't
see how it should be necessary if I am neither porting from or to Unix.
Thank you.

>An important point that Mark left out of his description is that this
>package is decidedly UNIX like, with much of the tools and conventions of
>UNIX.  One who starts using this package should be familiar with the UNIX
>way of working or be willing to learn (with a good book).
>
>Good luck and enjoy!
>
>
>At 10:34 PM 3/8/98 +1000, Mark Read wrote:
>>Hi Vicki.
>>
>>In a nut-shell, GNU-WIN32 is a free (yes, free!) C (and C++) compiler that
>>runs in a Windows 95/NT (32 bit) environment (your development
environment).
>>
>>You can use it to either:
>>
>>a) port Unix to Windows 95/NT: take standard Unix C programs and compile
>>them under GNU-WIN32, usually without changing a single line or source
code,
>>and produce a binary (exe) that will run on a Wintel (Windows 95/NT on
Intel
>>architecture).
>>
>>b) write C or C++ programs under the Windows 95/NT development environment
>>(from scratch or from your existing projects in some cases) and either
>>compile for a Windows binary or take to source and compile it under a Unix
>>environment.
>>
>>The FAQ and RELEASE files located on the Cygnus home page (www.cygnus.com)
>>(click on the CYG32WIN icon on the left edge) has a lot more information.
>>
>>Cheers, Mark.
>>
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Vicki <[email-masked]>
>>To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
>>Date: Sunday, 8 March 1998 17:52
>>Subject: I'm new
>>
>>
>>>I'm new to this gnu stuff, what does GNU-WIN32 supposed to do?
>>>-
>>>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>>>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>-
>>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>>
>>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".