Subject: Re: Compiling X11R6.3 with your B19 patches...
From: [email-masked] (Keet / Foxbird)

8 Mar 1998 17:04:38 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Vega International Capital LTD <[email-masked]>,
        Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

>"My" version (downloaded yesterday) doesn't have. Looks like the other
>people (who reported the same strange behavior) have the same version.

Okay.. for those still clueless (like I still am), here's exactly what I
did to build the X11 release I have:

1 : Download BOTH the xc-1.tar.gz AND xc-2.tar.gz files from ftp.x.org.
(this fixes that
    loop problem. xc-1.tar.gz DOES NOT CONTAIN the docs directory)
2 : Download Sergey's patch.
3 : Put these three files in a BINARY mounted directory
4 : Make sure your /tmp directory is mounted BINARY
5 : Make a copy of GCC to CC and put it in your path
6 : Start BASH and cd into the direcoty with those three files
7 : tar xvfz xc-1.tar.gz
8 : tar xvfz xc-2.tar.gz
9 : patch -p0 -s <X11R6.3f2-b19.diff
10: cd xc/programs/xterm
11: edit the makefile and replace -O2 with -O (two occurances)
12: cd ../../
13: make -i World
14: make install

That should compile it just fine. 
NOTICE: You will get some warnings here and there, and in a few places some
errors. This I was informed is due mostly because not all parts of the X11
library were ported over. Just ignore them and keep going.

Now, if someone out there successfully gets this going, and then decides
they want to do XPM, please let me know. I got XPM and X11 to compile fine,
but when I try to compile a program that uses libXpm, I get the following:

cc db.o devices.o draw.o history.o images.o inhandler.o keychart.o lexec.o
loadstatus.o match.o math.o messagewin.o net.o prochandle.o rcfile.o
strings.o timming.o update.o weapons.o xpm.o xsw.o xutils.o -o xsw -lm
-lX11 -lXt -lXpm -lXext -L/usr/X11r6.3/lib
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(CrPFrI.o)(.text+0x1e):CrPFrI.c: undefined
reference to `XCreatePixmap'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(CrPFrI.o)(.text+0x3e):CrPFrI.c: undefined
reference to `XCreateGC'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(CrPFrI.o)(.text+0x5c):CrPFrI.c: undefined
reference to `XPutImage'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(CrPFrI.o)(.text+0x68):CrPFrI.c: undefined
reference to `XFreeGC'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x27f):create.c: undefined
reference to `XUngrabServer'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x2de):create.c: undefined
reference to `XUngrabServer'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x35d):create.c: undefined
reference to `XUngrabServer'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x3a5):create.c: undefined
reference to `XGrabServer'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x3b9):create.c: undefined
reference to `XQueryColors'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x52c):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultScreen'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x535):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultVisual'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x55a):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultScreen'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x563):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultColormap'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x63c):create.c: undefined
reference to `XQueryColors'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x962):create.c: undefined
reference to `XFreeColors'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x9c2):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultScreen'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x9cb):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultVisual'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x9ea):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultScreen'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x9f3):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultColormap'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0xa12):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultScreen'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0xa1b):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultDepth'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0xd80):create.c: undefined
reference to `XCreateImage'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x1dd4):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultScreen'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x1ddd):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultVisual'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x1dfc):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultScreen'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x1e05):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultColormap'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x1e24):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultScreen'
/usr/X11r6.3/lib/libXpm.a(create.o)(.text+0x1e2d):create.c: undefined
reference to `XDefaultDepth'
make: *** [xsw] Error 1

Even using the prebuilt binaries I found earlier I still got the same
response. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

- Greg Neujahr
  [email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".